About Mario

My photo
Born and raised in Los Angeles, Mario Piumetti is a freelance writer of science fiction, horror, screenplays, and nonfiction. He has a bachelor's degree in English from California Lutheran University and an MFA in creative writing from Antioch University. An avid music lover, his work is heavily influenced by rock, punk, and metal. You can contact him at mario.piumetti.writer@gmail.com.

Monday, September 30, 2013

No Tomorrow: Day 83

I got through quite a bit of plotting today for No Tomorrow, and got back to my old habit of using note cards as a guide.  Note cards are great simply because you can shuffle them around with ease.  A list of scenes works out too, but then you have to keep crossing things out and scribbling on the page when a particular arrangement doesn't work.  Cards are a way to sort of brainstorm the outline.  I guess I'm a perfectionist like that.

The problem came when I had to think up new stuff.  Yeah, my brain-meat loves to kick back with a cold beer and chillax.  Sucks for you, Brain!  Fortunately, I have an idea of what I want to happen at the end of the book, and I scenes salvaged from the beginning.  So when I get down to it, I had two ends of a bridge built up, and then I just had to cross the gap.  Again, shuffling cards around came in handy when I had to figure this middle part out.  I had a bunch of scenes to work with, but simply had to figure out the best order to put them in.

There's a little more I have yet to do on the plotting.  The first draft was one long chunk of text without any chapter breaks.  I'm still not entirely sure if I want chapters at all in this book, but I do know that I at least want to divide the plot into sections.  If there are chapters within those sections, so be it, but I'm not going to worry about it right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment