About Mario

My photo
Born and raised in Los Angeles, Mario Piumetti is a freelance writer of science fiction, horror, screenplays, and nonfiction. He has a bachelor's degree in English from California Lutheran University and an MFA in creative writing from Antioch University. An avid music lover, his work is heavily influenced by rock, punk, and metal. You can contact him at mario.piumetti.writer@gmail.com.

Monday, August 6, 2012

Pussy Face

There's a part in Predator 2 where Danny Glover confronts the Predator and calls it "Pussy Face", and there's really no arguing with that nickname.  Jaws wide open, the Predator really does look like it has a vagina for a mouth.

Watching Predator 2 the other day got me thinking about some of my favorite sci-fi movie aliens.  In addition to the Predator, I'm also a fan of the creature from Ridley Scott's Alien and the Brain Bug from Paul Verhoeven's Starship Troopers.  And there's a consistent trait shared by the trio: they're all perverse.  With the creation of the facehugger, the Alien writers had created a film that's essentially focused on inter-species rape.  When discussing the design of the Brain Bug with his crew, Paul Verhoeven said, "Well, perhaps it should look like a vagina, or perhaps it should look like an anus."

Thinking about the aliens that I wanted to write about, in homage to those gross sci-fi movies I love, I figured there really was no reason I couldn't make a creature that looked like, say, a prolapsed rectum.  'Cause rectum damn near killed 'em!

Going into another round of thinking on my alien story, I thought I might be using too much logic.  I had watched all these science shows on what alien life could be like, and I would base my thinking on only that material.  I'm not saying that research is bad, but there are times when it can put a huge limitation on me.  What I decided to do was reverse the process.  Over the weekend, I came up with some pretty cool and disgusting alien concepts, and now I'm going back and filling in the gaps of stuff like what environment they live in, what kind of tools do they use, and so on.

The bottom line - and I think this is why I'm so excited about this new approach to the book - the bottom line is that sometimes it's more conducive creatively to go for something cool first and then employ logic to fine-tune it.  Function is still there in the back of my mind, but like the first draft of a story, it's much easier to get ideas onto a page and then refine it rather than try and come up with something complete right from the start.

No comments:

Post a Comment