About Mario

My photo
Born and raised in Los Angeles, Mario Piumetti is a freelance writer of science fiction, horror, screenplays, and nonfiction. He has a bachelor's degree in English from California Lutheran University and an MFA in creative writing from Antioch University. An avid music lover, his work is heavily influenced by rock, punk, and metal. You can contact him at mario.piumetti.writer@gmail.com.

Saturday, July 5, 2014

The List

This week, I felt that my new short story Q & A was ready to hit the submission meat grinder.  Well, I'm not 100% sure it's perfect, but I think it's ready enough for at least a first round of submissions to a few places.  I'm like that sometimes; send out a piece and if it's universally rejected then it needs a little more fine-tuning.

I entered the story on Duotrope and started searching for publications that might be a good match.  The website said it had none.  Not one.  Now that's odd because Duotrope has thousands of markets listed.

A few years ago, a grad school friend of mine sent me a link for the markets list on Poets and Writers Magazine's website.  It's not nearly as extensive as Duotrope, but I think it's helpful if you want to do a broader search.  You can search by genre, subgenre, format, and payment type.  They tell you whether or not a market allows for simultaneous submissions, and most of them on this list do.

Duotrope is still the #1 search platform for me, but the Poets and Writers list is a pretty solid Plan B.

No comments:

Post a Comment