About Mario

My photo
Born and raised in Los Angeles, Mario Piumetti is a freelance writer of science fiction, horror, screenplays, and nonfiction. He has a bachelor's degree in English from California Lutheran University and an MFA in creative writing from Antioch University. An avid music lover, his work is heavily influenced by rock, punk, and metal. You can contact him at mario.piumetti.writer@gmail.com.

Friday, August 1, 2014

The Document

Anyone who knows me knows I hate research.  I like learning about new things, sure, but gorging on a white whale of info is like saying I'm going to sit down and listen to every Rolling Stones album.  It's fun at first, but I'll go nuts after the first few albums.

What gets me cringing about research in particular is the repetition of it.  Starting a new story, if there's research involved, I'll likely end up reviewing half a dozen documentaries I've seen many times before.  Again, not fun.  Doesn't even have the illusion of fun.

I don't know why it took me this long to realize it, but I've finally figured out the best thing to do is to do all the research I would ever need for every project at one time, a compilation of all my notes into a master document that I can refer to as needed.  And I've given this the very imaginative title of...the Document.  Spoken of in hushed tones as if it's the Monolith from 2001: A Space Odyssey.

So far, the Document's reached about forty pages, and there's a lot more to come.  Part of me isn't really looking forward to it, but if I brace myself and get it done now, I know I'll be thankful for it later.

No comments:

Post a Comment