About Mario

My photo
Born and raised in Los Angeles, Mario Piumetti is a freelance writer of science fiction, horror, screenplays, and nonfiction. He has a bachelor's degree in English from California Lutheran University and an MFA in creative writing from Antioch University. An avid music lover, his work is heavily influenced by rock, punk, and metal. You can contact him at mario.piumetti.writer@gmail.com.

Sunday, June 24, 2012

Good Times, Terrible Times

I'm trying to think just how many stories I've killed this year.  A few months ago, there was the alien invasion novel that I'd spent a few years on.  A few months after that was one about astronauts exploring a distant planet.  And about a month ago, I started a story about a kid raising himself in a zombie apocalypse; that one died a few days ago.

I don't admit this with pride.  It sucks putting down a story.  Some of these, like the invasion story, grew beyond the original conceit.  Others I felt weren't too different from what was already out there.  The one about the kid didn't feel any different than The Walking Dead: hordes of zombies, empty cities in ruins, etc.

I guess the "blind" is the best word to describe my week; it feels like I'm groping around blindly looking for that story that feels just right.  I could probably fit in among a thousand monkeys at a thousand typewriters.

No comments:

Post a Comment