About Mario

My photo
Born and raised in Los Angeles, Mario Piumetti is a freelance writer of science fiction, horror, screenplays, and nonfiction. He has a bachelor's degree in English from California Lutheran University and an MFA in creative writing from Antioch University. An avid music lover, his work is heavily influenced by rock, punk, and metal. You can contact him at mario.piumetti.writer@gmail.com.

Sunday, June 17, 2012

Reconnections

I worked on a short story tonight, and got a little over a thousand words added to it.  Not bad, even though at the last minute, I decided not to continue with it.  It was the usual reason: I just wasn't feeling it.  Yes, it sounds like something trite that a dork would say, but this dork was being honest about.

Ending the short story didn't bother me in the least.  In fact, nothing about writing or being a writer today bothered me.

I hopped into my truck and drove to Culver City where I reconnected with some Antioch friends in town for their residency.  Lunch.  Bullshitting.  Off-color jokes.  It felt like the year that went by since I graduated evaporated, and for a little while I was more at ease.  I breathed a little more easily.  I sat with a little more slack.  I even drove to Venice where I'd rented a beach house with some of my fellow students just before graduating.

None of this actually has anything to do with writing, but when I got home in the evening and sat at my computer, the words came out more fluidly.  Even though I ended up discarding the story, deep down I knew that I would be back on the horse in no time.  I don't know how I knew.  I just knew.  Again, trite but honest.

It's interesting what an afternoon with friends can do.  If you feel like you're in a funk with whatever you're writing (or just in a funk in general), give it a shot.

No comments:

Post a Comment