About Mario

My photo
Born and raised in Los Angeles, Mario Piumetti is a freelance writer of science fiction, horror, screenplays, and nonfiction. He has a bachelor's degree in English from California Lutheran University and an MFA in creative writing from Antioch University. An avid music lover, his work is heavily influenced by rock, punk, and metal. You can contact him at mario.piumetti.writer@gmail.com.

Saturday, March 2, 2013

Sweet Glorious Mental Breakdown

I love the fact that my brain seems to hate me, most likely due to the fact that it's an asshole.  Not gonna lie, I do hate the discombobulation that brain sometimes causes (and I just realized that I haven't used the word discombobulation since high school; it was the favorite word of one of my history teachers).

So I'm going to 'fess up: the online novel crashed again.  This is the third time in the last couple of weeks, and it's frustrating me.  One of the reasons I'm sharing this with you guys - documenting the calamity that this project seems to be turning into - is so you know that there are writing projects that have a tough time just getting on their feet, let alone out of the starting gate.  Another reason, of course, is because I like to rant.  It makes me feel better, and I have a hunch that there might be other writers out there who deal with this crisis as much as I do.  So hail, brothers and sisters!

I honestly don't know what it is I want to do with the online novel.  It seems like there are a lot of directions I want to take this project, but they don't seem to fit together.  I want it to have a good amount of action, but I want it to be a work of art like a Kubrick film.  I want it to be expansive, but I don't want to dilute the story.  I keep jumping around with the setting; 1890s, 1914, the Civil War years.  I want it to be an homage to the science fiction I love growing up, but I want it to be my own thing.  I want it to be true to science, but I also don't want to waste a lot of time on research that I ultimately might not even need.  And I don't even know what subgenre of science fiction I want to focus on: apocalyptic, time travel, steampunk.

I feel stretched in so many directions that I'm losing sleep over it.  And I know that's a dumb thing to do, stressing over something that hasn't even begun, but I stress because I know that I do want it to begin.  I don't want this to be one of those projects that just hangs in my head and never finds traction.

No comments:

Post a Comment