About Mario

My photo
Born and raised in Los Angeles, Mario Piumetti is a freelance writer of science fiction, horror, screenplays, and nonfiction. He has a bachelor's degree in English from California Lutheran University and an MFA in creative writing from Antioch University. An avid music lover, his work is heavily influenced by rock, punk, and metal. You can contact him at mario.piumetti.writer@gmail.com.

Sunday, March 24, 2013

The Undead and the Inhuman

I know I should be working on ideas for the online novel - and I am, I swear! - but right now, I think I just need to vent, rant, or pull my hair, because the project is really kicking my ass.

I'm stuck between two ideas.  The first (and I wanted to keep this a secret, but I also wanted the Iron Man suit for Christmas) is to redo Starship Troopers my way to appease my love of science fiction.  I loved that novel, but at the same time, there was a lot that it'd have done differently.  The second idea is to take my zombie story to the web, focusing on a small town trying to survive and rebuild after the apocalypse.  And I'm not saying that because it's Sunday and The Walking Dead was on tonight.  Truth be told, I haven't been watching any TV lately, let alone AMC, but I hear the second half of this season has been good.

Right now, I guess I'm just trying to figure out which monster - the alien or the zombie - has my attention the most.  Science fiction and alien war stories really grabbed me when I was a kid, made a reader out of me, got me thinking of being a writer in the first place.  But oh how research intensive they can be, and I'm really worn by all the research I've done for projects in the past.  The zombie story, on the other hand, is light on research and the fact that anyone can die in the story heightens the tension from start to finish.

In other words, I haven't got a fucking clue what I'm doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment