About Mario

My photo
Born and raised in Los Angeles, Mario Piumetti is a freelance writer of science fiction, horror, screenplays, and nonfiction. He has a bachelor's degree in English from California Lutheran University and an MFA in creative writing from Antioch University. An avid music lover, his work is heavily influenced by rock, punk, and metal. You can contact him at mario.piumetti.writer@gmail.com.

Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Pavlov's Dog

To paraphrase Sinatra in the original Ocean's Eleven, I got news for you, some good and some bad.

The good news is that I've been offered an internship at Atmosphere Entertainment, the company that produced, among others, 300.  The ball on this got rolling through my course work in story analysis at UCLA, so I've very excited to see that bringing some results so soon.

The bad news is that while this is a mostly online internship, it looks like there would be some days when I'd have to go into their offices.  That in itself isn't necessarily bad.  What is bad is that I'm still tutoring in the afternoon and so I'd have to get the bulk of my day's writing done early in the morning.  Okay, so it's bittersweet news.

Yesterday, I worked out a schedule that would let me balance all three - writing, tutoring, and the internship.  I had the luxury of dictating my hours and dates.  10:00 AM to 2:00 PM Monday through Friday sounded reasonable.  On the day I'd have to come into their offices at Atmosphere, I'd have to wake up, eat breakfast, work on my novel and one other short fiction piece, exercise, and shower before having to leave a little before 9:30 AM.  On days when I don't have to go in, I get an extra forty minutes because driving time is taken out.  Finishing internship at 2:00 PM gives me an hour or two of writing and lunch before my tutoring appointments.

Trust me, I have this all planned out down to the last minute, all except the fact that I'm not much of a morning person.  That was probably why I asked Atmosphere for a 10 AM start time in the first place.  Don't get me wrongI'm rising earlier in the day and bedding earlier in the evening, but I'm still not quite at the point where I'm perfectly lined up with my schedule.

I still think I can make it work though.  I've got four days before my internship is supposed to start on Monday, so until then I've got to make like Pavlov's dog and condition the snot outta me.

No comments:

Post a Comment