About Mario

My photo
Born and raised in Los Angeles, Mario Piumetti is a freelance writer of science fiction, horror, screenplays, and nonfiction. He has a bachelor's degree in English from California Lutheran University and an MFA in creative writing from Antioch University. An avid music lover, his work is heavily influenced by rock, punk, and metal. You can contact him at mario.piumetti.writer@gmail.com.

Friday, January 17, 2014

Sick Days

Writing is an art, but it's also a job, a business, and like any business there's one thing binding them together in commonality.  No, not the Force.  The germs.

I've been doing well the last week keeping up a strong work ethic.  I'd wake up every morning, brew up some coffee, sit my ass down, and get my day's writing done in a few hours.  It feels good, accomplishing.  Yesterday, however, I just wasn't feeling it.  I sat down at my laptop and didn't feel quite the same, that feeling of slight fatigue from getting out of bed while also being energized by the thought of a chance to be productive.  So I took the day off from writing and focused on some paperwork instead, figuring I was okay because I was still getting things done.

Then I went to my tutoring job in the afternoon and quickly felt worse: body aches, weakness in the limbs, an increasingly scratchy throat.  No doubt about it.  I was sick.  I'm feeling better than yesterday, but I'm still quite out of it, so I'm giving myself a sick day.  Even Gillian was kind enough to give me the day off.  You guys remember Gillian, right?  So when I say even she's expressing kindness, it's a pretty earth-shattering thing.

Be good to yourselves, folks.  If you're too sick to write, then all you're going to produce is gibberish that you'll have to waste time redoing later on.

No comments:

Post a Comment