About Mario

My photo
Born and raised in Los Angeles, Mario Piumetti is a freelance writer of science fiction, horror, screenplays, and nonfiction. He has a bachelor's degree in English from California Lutheran University and an MFA in creative writing from Antioch University. An avid music lover, his work is heavily influenced by rock, punk, and metal. You can contact him at mario.piumetti.writer@gmail.com.

Wednesday, July 31, 2013

The Infamous Website Post

Anyone who's followed my blog for a while knows how much I hate having to do this...

*Sigh*

Yay!  Time for shameless self-promotion!

God, can I sound like any more of a douchebag?  Well, I did this for Twitter and Facebook, so I might as well carry on the proud tradition.

Yes, I just launched a new website for my writing called heavenshaker.com.  And sure, I am going to give myself a little pat on the back because I had no idea what to expect.  I've never actually tried running a website before.  I thought I would have to be some massive computer nerd to get it right, but it was a surprisingly user-friendly experience.  And as long as I remember to pay the regular maintenance fee, long may it live.

I was also hesitant to launch the sight because of a bad experience with the project not too long ago.  I originally wanted to register the name mariopiumetti.com through a service called Slam Dunk Domains.  My friend Marina uses it for her photography site and spoke highly of it, but it just didn't click for me.  Different strokes for different folks, I guess.  The project collapsed after just a few hoursThe customer service reps at Slam Dunk were understanding and I did get my money credited back to me, but the domain was no longer available.

Enter Intuit.  They're known for financial software, but they develop websites as well.  My family's construction company used to have a website with them, and I remember how nice it looked.  The cost of the service is pretty reasonable, about $100 for the domain registration and monthly maintenance.

Why did I pick the name Heaven Shaker?  Off the top of my head, I remember hearing about a manned torpedo the Japanese used during World War II.  They called it Kaiten, but its nickname the Heaven Shaker sounded cooler.

But as LeVar Burton used to say on Reading Rainbow, don't take my word for it.  Check it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment