About Mario

My photo
Born and raised in Los Angeles, Mario Piumetti is a freelance writer of science fiction, horror, screenplays, and nonfiction. He has a bachelor's degree in English from California Lutheran University and an MFA in creative writing from Antioch University. An avid music lover, his work is heavily influenced by rock, punk, and metal. You can contact him at mario.piumetti.writer@gmail.com.

Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Zombies: Day 15

Hey, everyone.  Just a quick update on the book today.

I've been feeling a little bit sluggish the last few days, but I'm still pressing on as much as I can.  Yesterday was a pretty frightening day though.  The previous night, I'd gotten no sleep whatsoever; not a wink.  I was up all through the night right into the morning dealing with computer problems, so I had no rest.  The bed sheets weren't even touch.

Sleep deprivation isn't new to me, but it did freak me out yesterday as I was driving towards the Studio City library to get some work done.  I was passing through Glendale, and I started nodding off.  I was falling asleep behind the wheel!

I didn't get to the library - I turned around and headed home - but I also don't remember the drive back.  I think I was still in Glendale when I got off the Ventura Freeway and started to backtrack.  At that point, I was probably ten minutes away from my house and I tried forcing myself awake just until I got back to my driveway.  The more I fought it, the more my eyes began to droop, and I had to slam on the breaks a couple of times.

When I got home, I texted a friend of mine about the what happened and I fell asleep in my truck, right there on the driveway in mid-sentence!  She told me that was a bad sign and that, even though I had a lot of work to do, I had to set aside some time for a nap.  I slept for a few hours and then got about a thousand words written.

Last night, I got a few more hours of sleep before my alarm went off.  I hit the snooze button and kept sleeping until about noon.  I had relatives visiting, so lunchtime was spent with them.  I got several hundred words written in the last few hours, and I hope to get a little more work done before heading out for the evening.

But yikes!  I think I've hit a tipping point with my insomnia.  It's a problem that I've got to deal with pronto.

No comments:

Post a Comment