About Mario

My photo
Born and raised in Los Angeles, Mario Piumetti is a freelance writer of science fiction, horror, screenplays, and nonfiction. He has a bachelor's degree in English from California Lutheran University and an MFA in creative writing from Antioch University. An avid music lover, his work is heavily influenced by rock, punk, and metal. You can contact him at mario.piumetti.writer@gmail.com.

Sunday, May 4, 2014

Plowing On

This last week was a really good one.  I got quite a bit of progress done on this new short story I'm working on and brainstorming a new piece for Carpe Nocturne.  I kind of dragged my feet a bit on script reading.  I was sent a pretty beefy novel that took a while to get through.  The week was tiring but I didn't lose my optimism.

The weekend felt completely different.  I had a script that seemed to take forever for me to get through; it really didn't take any longer than usual.  I signed up for a new class at UCLA on television writing that cost a pretty penny or two.  All in all, I just felt like I was in a total funky state.  I still got some writing to do and a little reading, but that's pretty much it for tonight.

Roar Shack got rejected from Penumbra a few days ago, but I didn't check my email and get the news until yesterday.  A writer friend of mine, Wendy Fontaine, kept telling me a while ago that for each rejection I ought to send a story out to two other publications.  I ended up sending Roar Shack to three magazines.

I've heard that editors don't really like simultaneous submissions, and I can understand their reasons why, but the taboo be damned!  I remember submitting a story to Tor once.  It took them a year to get back to me.  There's no way I'm sitting on ass waiting for anyone to get to me.  I'm not saying that to come off like a prima dona.  I'm saying it because I could wake up dead tomorrow.

However, if it really does bother you to send a piece to a publication that's against simultaneous submissions, you can search Duotrope for places that allow it.  There are a surprisingly large number that do.

No comments:

Post a Comment